There are multiple feeding tube types. The utilization period is also important: Short, Mid or Long Term use. Different types of raw materials are used and each has it’s own specifications and advantages. In general, PVC, polyurethane and silicone are the major types.
· Easy to position without the risk of tube kink
· Easy to aspirate
· Economical for short term use
· Gets softer with patient’s body heat and increases patient comfort
· Thin walls and large lumen structure minimizes the risk of blockage
· More efficient for longer term use.
· Minimizes the risks of tissue complications and positioning traumas.
· Increases patient comfort due to it’s soft structure.
· Maximized bio-compatibility for long term use.
The feeding tubes have either ENFit connectors or Universal Luer Lock connectors, depending on the model.
What is ENFit?
ENFit is a globally accepted change in standards for enteral feeding tubes for safer use. Each extension line, injector, PEG tube or NG tube is being manufactured with a specific ENFit compatible connector, suitable for use, only with enteral/tube feeding.
Patients receive treatments, such as drugs, oxygen etc. via various tubes and catheters. These tubes’ and catheters’ connections are mostly universal and they are compatible for connection. When a treatment is applied through a tube or catheter which was placed and planned for another use,serious harm, even death can be experienced. ENFit makes sure, the nutrients will be administered in a correct manner.